Pipedrive comes with a minimalistic approach to CRM. While this is enough for many Pipedrive customers, some customers may still need some field that are more specific to their company's needs. If you need a field in Pipedrive that does not exist by default, it can always be created as a custom field.
With a custom field, not only will you have the means to document any more specific information you may require, but you will also be able to categorize your deals and contacts based off of the data in these fields, and filter for them in Pipedrive.
Adding custom fields
Custom fields can be added in two different ways in Pipedrive.
From within Settings:
- Go to Settings > Customize > Customize Fields and select the category of custom field you wish to add to Pipedrive — from Deals, Organizations, or People.
- Click Add a field in order to begin the field creation process.
- Select the type of field you wish to create, based on your needs. A description of the field's behavior is provided when you hover over each option with your mouse.
- Provide a name for your field, along with any other information that is specific to that field type. Click Save to finish the creation of your custom field.
From within the Detail View:
- Go to the Detail View of an item of category of field you wish to add — a Person, Organization, or Deal.
- Click on the gear icon found in the DETAILS section, and click on Customize fields.
- Provide a Field name, and select the desired Field type.
- Click Save to finish the creation of your custom field.
When adding custom fields, you will see that there are two columns in the list of fields — Show in Add New Dialog and Show in Detail View. These options allow an Admin User to choose how these custom fields are displayed in Pipedrive.
- 'Show in Add New Dialog'
When marked as NO, the custom field will not appear in the Add new deal / Add new person / Add new organization prompt.
When marked as YES, the custom field will appear there, and data can be provided for that field upon creation of that deal, person, or organization.
- 'Show in Details View'
When marked as NO, the custom field will not be shown by default in the DETAILS section of the Detail View of the Deal, Person, or Organization.
When marked as YES, the custom field will show up — whether the field has a value or otherwise — in that DETAILS section.
Note: Not sure where to add your custom field? Learn more about how your data is organized here.
Where will the custom field appear?
Upon creation, you will be able to see your custom field in the following places within Pipedrive.
- In the Detail View
When in the Detail View, any custom fields can be found in the DETAILS section.
- In the List View
Click on the gear icon to the right of the table, and select the custom field from the list of fields in the Choose columns function. Click Save to make that custom field column visible in the List View.
- In the Add New Dialog
If the Show In Add New Dialogue option is marked to Yes, the custom field will appear in the Add new deal / Add new person / Add new organization prompt.
- In the Import function
When importing a spreadsheet into Pipedrive, your custom fields can be mapped to columns in your spreadsheet. To learn more about importing in Pipedrive, click here.