No matter how good of a salesperson you are, some deals will just simply not continue. When this happens and a deal is marked as LOST, providing a reason can help you better understand trends or circumstances when you need to look back on your deal history.
Freeform lost reasons...
- are provided by any user marking a deal as LOST.
- allow a user to provide their insight as to why the deal did not proceed.
Predefined lost reasons...
- are programmed by an Admin User, as a list for other users to choose from.
- can be chosen from this list when a deal is marked as LOST, allowing for consistent and effective information about why a deal did not proceed.
Both of these options allow for the user to provide additional comments about why that specific deal was marked as LOST. These comments are placed in the lost deal as a pinned note, so that you can always refer back to the specific information regarding why that deal was marked as LOST.
Using lost reasons
Note: By default, Pipedrive is set to use freeform lost reasons. If you would like to learn how to enable predefined lost reasons, click here.
To use your lost reasons, simply mark a deal in your Pipedrive account as LOST.
When done, you will receive a prompt, asking for a reason for marking that deal as lost in your account.
When finished providing your insight as to why the deal was lost — including any extra comments you may have — click the Mark as lost button.
When the Mark as lost button is clicked, the status of the deal will be changed to LOST, and that provided Lost reason will be made visible in the DETAILS section of that deal's Detail View.
If you provided other comments in the provided section, those comments will be saved as a pinned note, viewable in the Detail View of that deal.
Tracking lost reasons
Using this documented lost reason information, you can get an idea for trends within your sales — like if a certain category of customers are not likely to finish a sale around a certain time a year, or if a competitor is beginning to poach away some of your customers.
To get an immediate idea of your lost reasons...
- Go to the Deals tab of your Pipedrive account, and go to the List View.
- Using the filter button, find the lost deals within your Pipedrive account.
- When displaying those lost deals, click on the gear icon to the right side of the Pipedrive app.
- Select the Lost reason column to display in your List View, and click Save.
With that Lost reason column now displayed, you should see the reasons provided for why each specific deal was marked as LOST.
Your lost reasons can also be tracked effectively through the Reports function in the Progress tab of the Pipedrive account.
- Go to the Progess tab of your Pipedrive account, and click on Reports.
- Look for Sales Performance on the left side of the Pipedrive app, and select Deals lost.
- Under the 'How many deals were lost?' header, select by Reasons or by Reasons over time.
In this view, you'll be able to better understand the nature of why you are losing your deals, using your own detailed information.
For more information on this section of Reports, click here.