Contacts are the People or Organizations you're selling to using Pipedrive. In Pipedrive — and most things related to sales — you need a contact before you can do much else. All actions associated with these Contacts in Pipedrive will be automatically track in the contact's specific Detail View page.
People contacts are the specific customers that you are selling to from Pipedrive. These Person contacts are the backbone of the sales process, and any information relating to each contact — like scheduled activities, or emails — will be tracked in the Detail View of that Person.
- People are your customers, and contain email addresses and phone numbers.
- People can belong to an Organization.
- People can have multiple Deals open for them at the same time.
- People can be synced with Google Contacts, imported from a previous CRM, or imported from a CSV or XLS file.
Organizations act as larger collections of data in Pipedrive. All of the People related to an Organization will be listed in it's Detail View, as well as any Notes or Activities performed in relation to any People/Deals related to the Organization.
- Organizations are the companies that your People Contacts work for, and contain information like a mailing address, or industry information.
- Organizations can contain multiple People.
- Organizations can have multiple Deals open for them at the same time.
- Organizations can be related to other Organizations.
- Organizations can be synced with Google Contacts, imported from a previous CRM, or imported from a CSV or XLS file.
Note: If you need additional fields to in your account — like job titles and mailing addresses — we suggest creating custom fields for that purpose.
How to add contacts
People and Organizations can be added into your Pipedrive account in several ways:
- In the Add Deal dialog box, which will create both a deal and a contact simultaneously.
When creating a deal, either a Person or an Organization — or both! — will need to be provided.
- In the List View of your People or Organizations tab.
This will create only one person or organization. When creating a Person, you can either create a new Organization to associate with that Person, or choose to associate that Person contact with an existing Organization.
- From within the Detail View of a specific Organization.
Adding a Person contact this way will associate this new Person contact with the Organization you are currently viewing.
Google Contacts sync
Your Pipedrive contacts can also be synced to a group in your connected Google Contacts account. Any updates to information in Pipedrive will be reflected in Google Contacts, and any updates made in Google Contacts will also be reflected back in Pipedrive.
To learn more how to enable your Google Contacts sync, click here.
Admin Users in the Pipedrive company account can also import a spreadsheet of contacts, bringing your existing contact list with you into Pipedrive.
To learn more about how to do so, we suggest starting here.