All CRMs store contact information and data; it's what the CRM does with that information that gives it character. There are plenty of acronyms to pick from to describe your data, e.g., leads, deals, etc. Regardless of the term you're familiar with, when it's all said and done, you have people out there in the real world you talk to. These people could be standalone individuals or representatives of a whole organization. So how do we present all of our contact information in our CRM, as well as intelligently track the actions and processes the contact is subject to? In Pipedrive, we represent this process by breaking your data into several different categories:
In Pipedrive, your data is divided into several categories
- People and Organizations are the contact profiles that hold all long-term information related to the contact, such as phone numbers and email addresses. These contacts can also be connected to Deals which are visual representations of the conversations between the salesperson and the contact.
- Deals: are visual representations of conversations you're having with customers. They're tracked through the stages of a sales Pipeline as they progress and document all actions taken to close the sale from start to finish.
- Activities: are scheduled tasks needed to close a sale and can be associated with People, Organizations, or Deals.
- E-Mail: is simply your correspondence tracked in your People profiles as well as any Organization and/or Deal associated with the Person who got the Mail.
Contacts - people
Contacts are obviously going to be the People or Organizations you're selling to. In Pipedrive (and most things related to sales), you need a Contact before you can do much else. Contacts will automatically track in their detail pages all actions associated with them that take place in Pipedrive.
Later (or at the same time), People can have Deals opened for them, which will then be tracked separately in your sales pipeline.
- People are contact person profiles holding long-term information, e.g., email addresses and phone numbers.
- People can be members of an Organization.
- People can have multiple Deals open for them at the same time.
- People can be synced with Google Contacts, imported from a previous CRM, or imported from a CSV or XLS file.
Contacts - organizations
Organizations will act as a "mothership of data". You can find all People related to an Organization listed in it's detail page, as well as any notes, activities, or actions performed on any People/Deals related to the Organization.
- Organizations are profiles holding long-term information, e.g., company websites and addresses.
- Organizations can contain multiple people therein, as well as multiple deals.
- Organizations can be related to other Organizations.
In Pipedrive, we track this as a Deal which is then tracked in a series of stages that make up your pipeline.
A Deal is a visual representation of all actions taken towards the closing of a sale from start to finish. Deals will also automatically pull all contact information from the Person/Organization they're associated with.
Once you click on a deal, you'll be presented with it's detail page, which displays all Person information, Organization information, and all Activities, Emails, notes, and actions in regards to the Deal.
- Deals can be associated with a Person and/or Organization.
- Deals track all events and movements that take place throughout the sales process.
- Since a Deal is connected to a contact, any actions you perform on the Deal will also be associated with the Person/Organization related to it.
An activity represents any action on your part towards the closing of a sale. It can be a phone call, a lunch meeting, or even a ritualistic fire-walk. Whatever it is, you can schedule it in relation to a Person, Organization, and/or a Deal.
- Activities can be synced with Google Calendar.
- Associating an activity with a Deal will also associate the activity with the deal's assigned contact Person and/or Organization.
Click here to read more on Activities.
Mail is simply just like it sounds. Your Pipedrive mailbox holds all email you decide to keep a record of in Pipedrive. How it works, is you simply BCC your Pipedrive Smart BCC Address to any email you're sending, and a copy of the email will be delivered to Pipedrive, where it will then automatically be associated with the Person in Pipedrive you sent the email to. If the Person doesn't exist in your Pipedrive database yet, then the system will create a new Person in Pipedrive, holding the email address of the contact you sent the email to. It works like this:
Mail tracks outgoing email sent to your People using our Email Integration.
- If the contact exists in the system, the email will be associated with them.
- If the contact doesn't exist in the system, the email will create a new Person while linking the email thread to them.
- If a Deal is open for the contact who the email has been sent to, Pipedrive will associate the email thread with the Person as well as the open Deal.
* If multiple deals are open for a Person who has been sent an email, Pipedrive will give you a list of all open deals for that Person to associate the email with.
- Replies from your contacts can also be forwarded to your Pipedrive Mailbox, and Pipedrive will document them in the same email thread as a reply from the customer.
- Attachments in emails are available everywhere the email is associated and are also available in the Files tab of any detail page